Minnesota Deserves College Gameday
Dear Desmond, Kirk, Herbie, Rece, Coach Corso, Bear, and all the behind-the-scenes folks on College Gameday:
It’s time. The Gophers are 8-0 for the first time since 1941, and Minnesota should (finally) get to host College Gameday.
Now, I know there are other potential sites for Week 11. But do you really want to go to Tuscaloosa again? Isn’t Coach sick of that elephant head by now? And yes, there’s a ranked versus ranked match-up between Iowa and Wisconsin, but haven’t you done Madison to death at this point? (Insert Minnesota fan joke about there being nothing to do in Madison).
I can even suggest some storylines for you. The year before P.J. Fleck arrived, Minnesota was one of the most penalized teams in college football. They’re now tied for fourth-fewest penalties in the country. How did Fleck make that change?
Also a possibility: a profile of Antoine Winfield Jr, who’s currently tied for the second-most interceptions in the country, with five through eight games. As I’m sure you know, his dad played several years in the NFL with the Vikings and Bills.
And maybe the most interesting story on the Gophers: Daniel Fa’alele, the 6’9″, 400-lb. offensive lineman from Australia who didn’t play football until his junior year of high school.
Still not convinced?
- You will get a crowd. A big one. They will not shy away from coming out if the weather is bad.
- Speaking of weather, Accuweather.com lists the average high and low temperatures for November 9 as 45 and 35 degrees. Tell me that doesn’t sound more appealing than Week 2 in Austin. You guys were melting.
- Minneapolis is both a college town and a world-class city. Check out this Esquire article about the can’t-miss spots in the city. And don’t forget the Mall of America!
- Did you know Goldy Gopher is a four-time Universal Cheerleaders’ Association National Champion?
- The game should be a good one. Check out what our Maggie Yarnell wrote about the Nittany Lions offense recently.
- This could be one of your easiest travel weeks of the season. You can get a direct flight to MSP from almost anywhere.
Need some ideas for guest pickers?
- WWE’s Brock Lesnar, a former U of M wrestler
- Former Gopher and Viking Carl Eller
- Super Bowl-winning coach Tony Dungy, also a former Gopher
- Minnesota Twins alumni Paul Molitor, Dave Winfield, or Glen Perkins, all of whom also played for the Gophers
- Former Minnesota Twin Joe Mauer, a Minneapolis native
I hope by now you and your producers agree that Minnesota deserves College Gameday. I know the community would love to have you. And how good would Coach look in the Goldy Gopher head?
Lindsay and Gopher fans everywhere